Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-03-26 11:54:38

kem
Eggcornista

gratidue/grantitude << gratitude

This week a friend sent me an email with the word “gratitdue” for “gratitude.” The “due” seemed unusually apt, I thought. It looked, though, like a typo, a simple keyboard metathesis of “u” and “d.” Just to check, I queried my friend. Yes, she said, a typo.

But then I looked up “gratitdue” on Google. Hundreds of people, I was surprised to find, have made the same mistake. Still, it may be, in every case, a typo. Touch typers are notorious metathesizers. “Altitdue,” “solitdue,” and “attitdue,” for example, also yield numerous hits.

And there the matter should rest. Except. On a whim I searched the web for “gratidue,” a similar semantic shaping that is more than a simple metathesis. Again, hundreds of hits. Pages such as the following:

Mormon missionary blog: “My heart is so full of gratidue and joy to my Heavenly Father for blessing me so much.”

Ezine article: “Remini’s been fully supported—she released a note of gratidue last night for everyone’s support. – See more at: http://www.damemagazine.com/2013/07/12/ … puf”

Forum posts: “We ALL owe a debt of gratidue to every man and woman who serves our country.”

Could the word “due” be sneaking into “gratitude” in some speech communities?

While on the topic of “gratitude:” the first part of the word has its own eggcorn leanings. Grants of money and favor are often linked with gratitude. So why not go whole hog and put the grant into the word:

Message from Chinese company: “ I would like to take advantage of this open platform to extend my grantitude !”

Research document from Ghana: “First thing first thus my grantitude goes God Almighty whose grace has been more than sufficient to see me through this research” [and elsewhere in the same document]

Comment on art posting site: “i am way behind on my grantitude for those who have payed me such a compliment as adding me to your gallery”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2014-03-27 08:28:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: gratidue/grantitude << gratitude

I have heard it “grantitude”. I think your speculations on thanks being due for what we have been granted are right on.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-03-30 03:39:14

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: gratidue/grantitude << gratitude

How about this variation? Most of the hits I found searching for greatitude were wordplay, but there were a few like these:

Why are we shying away when the other person wants to express greatitude.
comment thread

thanks, greatitude for you
what you have done today
thanks, greatitude for you, my darling
song lyrics

Scientists who get things wrong are not looked on with disdain but with greatitude for having figured out what the answer ISN’T (such as Tycho Brahe and Johannes Kepler)and bringing others closer to what the answer MIGHT BE.
discussion about religion and science

It is with great greatitude I offer you Laughing Dragon cones, my contribution to this wonderful legacy of ear candles.
quackery
(I was struck by the juxtaposition of “great” and “greatitude”.)

Eggcorn, perhaps? I think it’s more likely an eyecorn than an earcorn, as the two words look more similar than they sound.

Board footer