Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-04-24 01:06:55

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"Idealic" for "idyllic"

I heard someone say “idealic” in a movie I saw last night (it was either The Unknown Known or Nymphomaniac: Volume 1) and I wrote the word down on my popcorn bag so as not to forget it. (There are so many possible eggcorns I think of but forget about before I get a chance to research them.) A web search yields scads of results. Most of them are just another way of saying “ideal”, but a goodly number of them are apparent substitutions of “idealic” for “idyllic”.

Idealic Mountain Lifestyle with Endless Mountain Views!
real estate listing

Come and join us for the vacation of your dreams in this idealic location.
rental listing

The world of the book is a sunny, idealic suburb with the dark forces of the supernatural creeping in at the fringes.
book review

The eggcornicity of this substitution seems self-evident to me. Chalk it up!

#2 2014-04-24 10:45:58

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Idealic" for "idyllic"

“Ideal << >> idyll” is part of a larger big fuzzy spot: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=5115

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer