Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-04-26 02:41:00

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

A man-made eggcorn

“Nary impossible” got me looking.

What about?:

Are you actively trying to get to the point where you can make a decent living from it? Do you think getting to such a point is nylon impossible

one mod has virtually full list of weps, bout 170, it contains the winters howl and thundergun, but thats 2/170, and its nylon impossible to get them, so more weapons will bring pros and cons

most of all the month where we set ourselves largely unrealistic goals to be achieved in a nylon impossible time frame.

Its nylon impossible to organise a training session unless we know specific numbers in advance

These are in amongst loads of hits which are plays on words in a context of fabrics and so on but the perps of these, and others, do seem to think that the expression is “nylon impossible”.

Semantics? Strongly, indestructibly, something to do with rationing in WW2? I have no idea. It’d be a pity if it were just a cupertino.

There really should be some dreadful pun here but all the ones I could think of seemed too artificial and not natural.

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2014-04-26 02:43:40)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2014-04-26 13:08:20

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: A man-made eggcorn

I really like this one. Eggcorn? Not so sure.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-04-27 17:15:29

burred
Eggcornista

Great minds think a lot. I went looking for nylon impossible just now, and was disappointed to see that it had already been entered in the forum … yesterday! Let me add my also rans, most of which should be under “creative misspellings”, I think.

we cleared up the fleas and now try to keep her out of the grass (which is knee-high impossible as we live in a very rural area
dog club

it would be knee-high impossible to have a politician admit as much.
video keeners

So in theory issues like this should be localised unless the entire global YouTube network went down which im pretty sure in knee-high impossible.
Youtube forum

Trying to sound coherent at 6.35am for live local radio is nay on impossible.
twitter

Nay on had more than 100 unique ghits. I think it must be a misspelling, and so must neigh on impossible, which has more than 300 unique hits, not just from the horsey set.

the known world was stunned. It was thought that the turkish hordes would be usually knight on impossible to dislodge, but it was not so after all.
war gamer diary

Nonce!

If the misery that hung in the air like drapes was tangible, a butter knife could cut through the latter. (...) He will then attempt to speak with the Royal Family, which would be nine on impossible.
roleplaying fanfic

my goodness trying to understand the lingo is high on impossible
irish football board

High on impossible has about a hundred ughits, and might have had the most hope of being an eggcorn, though one demanding a serious phonetic mutation. Might have, were it not for flaming phosphorescent neon impossible.

Hermione screamed as they were pulled into the compressing darkness, squeezing there lungs until it was neon impossible to breath.
fanfic

An incredible 9 solid hits for that one, including a second-person witness account:

Well Micky Adams was on radio earlier and said they weren’t giving up even though it was “neon impossible”, which I thought was a rather enlightening comment…
football board

#4 2014-04-29 10:34:26

burred
Eggcornista

I love thee, Lord Jesus;
look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle
until morning is night
Away in a manger

Coulda saved this one for Xmas, but it seemed pertinent here.

#5 2014-04-29 18:54:38

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

That’s a real one, Tocayo. I’d forgotten it.

A nice example of a mondegreen that is almost common enough to be an eggcorn. (I mean, “night < nigh” doesn’t make sense for most contexts; “till morning is nigh” is not clearly (but might be for some?) a standard, well-entrenched phrase apart from the line in the carol, but in that context night < nigh makes sort-of-reasonable sense: = the clock around. It describes the wrong part of the cycle (daytime) better than the right one (nighttime), though.

#6 2014-04-29 18:57:43

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Rethinking nylon impossible , I keep getting vibes about the non-stainability or non-stickability of nylon (not that it’s really all that non-stainable or non-stickable). Might its slipperiness, its untouchability, somehow fit in with the impossible part of things? Still doesn’t quite work.

Board footer