Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2014-05-25 03:15:53

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Write on!

A Danish friend (Magnus Pharao) honored me by sharing his first-discovered eggcorn with me.
On a discussion group, last names reduced to initials:

Chris K: Our political system is broken republicans and democrats only seem to care about getting rich of of our hard work when are people gonna wake up and realize this.

Dianne M: Write on Chris. I’m tired of trying to vote for the lesser of two evils.

I wonder in how many other contexts the person being affirmed is actually writing: this eggcorn should work in any such context. (Assuming of course it was not an advertent pun, and so forth.)
Remembering some of our discussions of the “slope of familiarity”, both “write” and “right” are very familiar to just about any English reader/writer/speaker, though “right” is even more common than “write” on most lists. Another case where unfamiliarity is not really a factor, I think.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2014-05-25 07:12:22

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: Write on!

Word!

It’s a kissin’ cousin of “Hear! Hear!”, often seen as “Here, Here!” (and already discussed).

Board footer