Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-01 04:18:07

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'full gamma of' for 'full gamut of'

Perhaps the idea is that unusually penetrative rays reveal more, or some blurry connection between gamma and spectrum is at play. Science, innit? For a brief moment my heart leapt as I anticipated full gamma dove – a heavy-duty version of a coal-mine canary, but it was not to be.

In addition to endoscopic procedures, our center offers the full gamma of traditional skull base surgery treatments including open skull base surgery techniques

Today, PharMaCon provides a full gamma of services for the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and health related organizations.

With this centrifuge we can provide the full gamma of hypergravity research facilities ranging from single cells / tissues via the MidiCAR centrifuge, small animals …

We are equipped to perform full set of pulmonary function studies, x-rays, 6 minute walks, and we provide a full gamma of blood tests as well as Alpha …

The connection between gamma and gamut was once much closer, as this entry from the Online Etymological Dictionary reveals:

gamut (n.)
1520s, originally, “lowest note in the medieval musical scale,” in the system of notation devised by Guido d’Arezzo, contraction of Medieval Latin gamma ut, from gamma, the Greek letter, indicating a note below A, + ut, the low note on the six-note musical scale that took names from corresponding syllables in a Latin hymn for St. John the Baptist’s Day:
Ut queant laxis resonare fibris
Mira gestorum famuli tuorum
Solve polluti labii reatum,
etc. Gamut came to be used for “the whole musical scale;” the figurative sense of “entire scale or range” of anything is first recorded 1620s. When the modern octave scale was set early 16c., si was added, changed to ti in Britain and U.S. to keep the syllables as different from each other as possible. Ut later was replaced by more sonorous do (n.).

#2 2014-07-02 06:31:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'full gamma of' for 'full gamut of'

The most common use of gamma today might be as the range of intensity displayed by an image in Photochop, or the gamut of your computer screen. The contrast. So the full gamma of makes a crisp eggcorn, if they can be said to be crisp. Very nice. I see that gamut is defined in Wikipedia as the complete subset of colours in computing and photography. That blends very closely with the gamma.

prices for wedding vehicles can run the gamma from extremely pricey to pricey.
http://www.culturge.com/learning-how-to … ding-cars/

#3 2014-07-02 19:29:34

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'full gamma of' for 'full gamut of'

Yes, I hadn’t thought of that connection, Tocayo, but felt there was one there. If we can get a perp to confess that will seal the nail in the coffin, I think.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer