Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-19 04:29:00

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

bonafied

This one’s only been mentioned here briefly in a list posted by jorkel back in ‘06.

Is cardata a bonafied company?
Q&A site

Has anybody found a bonafied Spare tire solution?
Mercedes-Benz discussion

Thieves and pirates on a ride
It’s a hippie commune bonafied
song lyrics

Clearly the perps are assuming the existence of a verb “to bonify”. The Online Slang Dictionary defines “to make (one’s) bones” as: “to earn a respected position in a field of work”, and since one may well “bone up” on a subject to become credentialed or expert, I don’t think it’s too far-fetched to attribute such a meaning to the imagined verb “bonify”. So I think a case could be made for the eggcornicity of “bonified”.

#2 2014-07-19 06:36:35

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: bonafied

I think the case you make has some merit – I couldn’t see any clearly eggcornish content in the entry on bonified in the Eggcorn Database. Mind you, I often think that certain ED entries have much less merit than many eggcorns which languish here in the Forum.

Last edited by Peter Forster (2014-07-19 06:37:19)

#3 2014-07-19 13:14:08

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I’d searched this site under the “bonafied” spelling (in keeping with the spelling of “bona fide”) and only got one hit—the brief listing I mentioned above. I didn’t think to search under the “bonified” spelling, which yields nine hits, some with discussion and examples. Oh, the travails of eggcorn investigation!

#4 2014-07-20 12:33:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Bonify might also have the idea of gelling or ossifying from something uncohering or unsolid, friable or gelatinous, into something with a fixed shape. That was (I think) what first came to my mind when I saw (and fell in love with) bonified years ago.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-07-20 12:34:36)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer