Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-08-02 14:44:42

burred
Eggcornista

"Scarefold" and "scalefold" for scaffold

The mid-14c. word for a wooden framework used to build walls came from the O.Fr. eschafaut, which is not much changed in French word échafaud today. The French word is a eggcornish blend of eschace “a prop, support” and chaffaut, from Vulgar Latin catafalicum, a raised bier. In tropical countries, scaffolding is typically made of bamboo lashed together, often to great heights, allowing Jackie Chan to dangle in midair. Scarefolding. Or maybe scalefolding, which the workers can scale.

These people are like scarefolding, they come into your life to fullfil a purpose and when the purpose is complete the scarefolding is removed, but do not be upset or afraid when they are removed because the building still stands when scarefolding is removed. Expect the constuents and comrades to leave you and dessert you
Sermon

gd job i say! i look at the scarefolding, no way its coming down in 5mths so… till my next trip to milan then…
Travel blog

I am actually looking to find an engineer to fix my sky dish back to wall after it was removed from the scarefolding three days ago,
Repair board

Sarah, we need a news crew to make the public aware of this problem we have a overhead scarefold that has been up for 8 yr
News helpline

In these images, workers remove the scalefolding that had been installed for the Professional Building’s cornice work.
community news

Main structure to support the hut is made by scalefolding which can support 350kg/m².
Design festival

Come to think of it, the folding aspect was designed in Eggcornistan, too.

Last edited by burred (2014-08-02 14:47:19)

#2 2014-08-03 10:30:00

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Scarefold" and "scalefold" for scaffold

Come to think of it, the folding aspect was designed in Eggcornistan, too.

Similar, in a sense, to blindfold. No fold in either word. I suspect that many people hear the “fold” in “scaffold” and think about the way it packs up for storage and unfolds for use.

“Scalefold” is at least a double-yolker, perhaps even a triple-yolker.

Last edited by kem (2014-12-27 12:20:25)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2014-08-19 09:59:52

yanogator
Eggcornista

I have a friend who doesn’t accept “scaffold” as a word. She will only call it “scaffolding”. She doesn’t see the parallelism with flooring/floor and fencing/fence. She has a number of other linguistic oddities, too. Her own personal eggcorn is “voiceterous” for “boisterous”.

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2014-08-19 19:28:58

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Voiceterous is wonderful. (It’s in the database already, but so what. We can enjoy it again.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer