Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-12-30 15:51:22

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"rustle"

We have seen the delightful “roughle” for “ruffle” here . Here’s a different variation I ran into a couple days ago:

I’m not trying to “rustle any feathers”, I’m just genuinely interested in knowing more.

I think the pronunciation is close enough for eggcornicity, and people could imagine feather-ruffling making a rustling sound (though I doubt it does). There are quite a few examples online, such as:

...we need a non-denominational program so we dont rustle any feathers or anything.
Christian forum

Anyway, I don’t want to rustle any feathers, I just wanted to make sure people knew what they were talking about and what was going on.
political discussion

EW: Hayden, inquiring minds want to know: Did you rustle any feathers at the Reunion?
HAYDEN: Rustling feathers is a new term that is going to live on forever, hopefully.
interview
[I love that the interviewee caught the mistake immediately.]

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2014-12-30 16:40:00)

Board footer