Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-01-04 04:19:58

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"posed" for "poised"

I encountered this recently in an article about the Obama girls :

I was also blown away by how tall and beautiful and posed these two young ladies were.

“Posed” for “poised” in the sense of “poised to (do something)” is addressed in the Eggcorn Database here . Now here it is in a slightly different sense.

“She’s very posed, very composed on the mound, very vocal… so she brings a really great energy,” Pawlik said.
article about a softball pitcher
[One wonders if the connection with “composed” is behind the perp’s confusion here.]

“No, she’s very posed and she did a great performance.”
article about the Oscars

I think the eggcornish meaning connection is pretty clear,

#2 2015-01-07 20:28:58

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "posed" for "poised"

Putative eggcorns that can be produced from a dropped letter are problematic. It’s possible to find “poised” spelled with other letters shot out:

.I still like Luann. She seems to be very pised and for lack of a better term..classy.
http://www.youbemom.com/forum/permalink … ck-of-a-be

Dixon, can you make a stronger case for the semantic similarity of pose and poise?

#3 2015-01-08 00:33:29

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "posed" for "poised"

David Bird wrote:

Dixon, can you make a stronger case for the semantic similarity of pose and poise?

I think so. People are typically seen as being poised when they’re in a situation wherein posing is likely, such as public speaking, singing, modeling. etc. In such situations, we tend to pay more attention to how we dress, look, stand and move. Much of this constitutes a sort of posing—most explicitly when the poised person actually modeling, a little less explicitly in the other situations. Close enough for plausible eggcornicity in most people’s minds, I think. But of course, absent some perp’s confession, I cannot make a case that any of these substitutions are eggcorns for certain.

Board footer