Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-02-02 23:54:23

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

cracked/crapped/crabbed/crept/creeped

Being in love isn’t what it’s crapped up to be.
Q&A site

So you’re in the market for a solid DSLR and you noticed the offering of the D90 from Nikon, but you’re not sure if it’s all it’s crapped up to be.
synopsis of article

If this world is all its crapped up to be (pardon my Italian) we wouldn’t always “want” Want love, Want security, Want peace…
blog

The phrase “cracked up to be” is usually in a negative context, as in “not what it’s cracked up to be”. Thus, the great reputation of the thing under discussion is BS, crap. Hence, I think “crapped up” for “cracked up” is an eggcorn.

On the third day he crapped up on her on the way to the village.
fan fiction

“Crapped up” for “creeped up” is a very rare one. Probably not an eggcorn, but it made me chuckle.

But twice, brothers tried to roll the dice
Niggaz crabbed out and had to pay the price
rap lyrics

Wow, I was wondering why he crabbed out and played bad in the games against Boston in the playoffs especially game 5.
sports talk

“Crabbed out” for “crapped out”. Hmmm…

While I admit I was crept out a little by the ending. I was even more surprised as to where the ending took place.
movie review

Heath Ledger as The Joker,was phenomenal,that every time he came on screen,i laughed,i cringed,i was crept out but i loved him!
YouTube

Not saying anything at all. I was crept out bcoz I thought I had a stalker on my hands.
discussion

“Crept out” for “creeped out”. Etymologically related terms, but with divergent meanings, converging again in Eggcorn Land—or somewhere close to it.

Board footer