Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-02-03 23:53:12

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

tote/tout/toot

I stumbled upon this one while researching a different eggcorn:

Calling all American pop stars toting liberal values.
article on Pussy Riot

Searching on “much-toted” yielded lots of examples, such as:

He may be much-toted as a potential frontrunner but his first week on the presidential campaign trail has been all but uncontroversial.
Wikinut

The much-toted research features are pretty good.
app review

One of the much-toted selling points of the new PubIt! is Barnes & Noble’s promise of no hidden terms or fees.
article on self-publishing portal

I think “tote” for “tout” is an eggcorn because touting something could be seen as toting it around to show everyone.

Next, I got the idea to search for examples of “much-tooted” for “much-touted”. I found only eight examples, including:

Looking at the drawings, the most conspicuous of these is the partially submerged four-storey parking structure and the much-tooted “Central Plant” that lies adjacent to it.
article on construction project

There have been a lot of glitches in iOS 8 (that has basically marred the much-tooted experience) but we hope that Apple doesn’t screw up iCloud Drive too.
geek blog

“No help wanted” – and these are supposed to be boom times for labor. Have a closer look at labor’s much-tooted war prosperity.
article from 1941

The relative paucity of examples aside, I think “much-tooted” is a dandy eggcorn. I don’t think the meaning-connection even needs to be explicated.

#2 2015-02-04 09:52:28

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: tote/tout/toot

Much-tooted can’t be too much tooted: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … p?id=5382.

Last edited by David Bird (2015-02-04 09:52:44)

#3 2015-02-04 10:17:04

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird wrote:

Much-tooted can’t be too much tooted: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … p?id=5382.

Oooops, I missed that previous post on “toot”! I did my pre-posting Eggcorn Forum search on “tout tote”. “Toot” came as an afterthought. Sorry for the redundancy, folks. Then again, sometimes a good eggcorn deserves to be brought up again, especially for those who didn’t see it the first time.

#4 2022-10-13 13:36:51

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I came across “gun-tooting” the other day, and this seems the right spot to park it; rather than the gun being simply carried or toted, there can be much posturing exhibitionism in the way the weapon is wielded, a kind of visual tooting perhaps.

... young actors to be doing some amazing Kung Fu with some great stunts but it turned out to be about a bunch of gun tooting teenagers with an attitude.

... from should-know-better critics apparently charmed by their machismo, frat boy gun-tooting made the experience all the more depressing.

... that an armed group on board in a Nissan white van with plate number TQH 836 allegedly threatening and gun tooting at the said place.

Board footer