Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-02-16 22:00:54

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

justaposition

Perusing one of my favorite Facebook groups today (the Ralph Records group), I came upon this strange beast:

I love the jazz trustapositioning in it

Searching the ‘Net found no more examples of that odd one, but I did find quite a few of these:

It is possible that when she hit her head, somehow the memories of german language were transposed into her mind in a quantum justaposition.
comment thread

I want to say something poignant about the justaposition of pediatric against geriatric or the spirit of the season or the warm glow on the papery skin of those all but lost to this reality but you know, it just isn’t coming to me.
blog

I’m not a fan of the genre, but the justaposition of the voice I hear on your channel with heavy metal just makes me grin.
discussion

The prefix “juxta-” (from Latin iuxta “beside, near”) is so rare in English that it makes sense that people would tend to replace it with others more familiar. Possible eggcorn? Sure—if we assume that some perps think of putting things side by side as a “just” (i.e., fair, fitting or precise) positioning.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2015-02-27 09:58:31)

#2 2015-02-16 23:31:51

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: justaposition

Coincidentally, I just found this variation in a list of nonces posted by eggcorn superhero David Bird 3 years ago:

The uniqueness of each piece, the study of colors and the justopposition of fabric

This may be a double-yolker.

#3 2015-02-17 16:22:12

David Bird
Eggcornista

Superhero – you mean with extra cheese and ham?

#4 2015-02-18 01:03:19

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird wrote:

Superhero – you mean with extra cheese and ham?

Yes, and you can really cut the mustard. Now lettuce carry on with the eggcorns.

Board footer