Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-06-03 14:51:00

joejoe

"sailing solution" for "saline solution"

Took me forever to realize that some guy talking about a dilute salt water solution was saying “saline” and not “sailing”. I figured he was referring to salt water as something used for sailing on. Ha!

#2 2015-06-04 05:27:34

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "sailing solution" for "saline solution"

Welcome, joejoe.
I think “sailing” for “saline” is a real eggcorn—and one that is new to this site! Some may feel that the meaning-connection is lacking, but I think it’s plausible that some perps may assume that “sailing” solution is used to alleviate dryness caused by things like the sun and wind experienced by sailors. Here are a few examples I found online (mixed in with the far more numerous puns):

You may feel like you need to use eyedropper sailing solution/artificial tears to get rid of the dry eyes feeling.
discussion of dehydration

You may have a fairly rare condition in which wax builds up in your auditory canal. You should go to the doctor and have it drained with sailing solution.
Q&A site

My doctor put splints in and said i could take them out myself on day 2. I just tried and even put some sailing solution up my nose but they seem pretty stuck and its hurts and just not sure how much I should pull.
account of a nose job

Board footer