Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-09-14 05:05:04

David Bird
Eggcornista

"locusts of control"

Today on facebook:

The locus of control became a place in the socio-political imagination in the late sixties, and peaked in popularity in 1985. Starting about 5 years ago, it delocalized and became a swarm: the locusts of control. They’re everywhere. The worst kind are the external locusts, out there nibbling on your soul and directing your life.

autobiography I began this works under the name “The Climax,” but later decided “Derision” was more appropriate and inclusive for the events, deception, locusts of control, and influence involved.

Soul searching Here are the habits of the people who have the capacity to be aware of what they feel. Who know how to express, process, dismantle and adjust their experience as they are their own locusts of control.

twofer on job site Many different locusts of control between managers. Here-say is very apparent when making decisions.

recovery forum This is because too many rehabs/na teach “learned helplessness” and external locusts of control to people.

Better personality through chems I suddenly became witty and funny… I really had become alive. I truthfully never believed in ‘positive attitudes’ or ‘locusts of control’, law of attraction, etc until I started taking Serzone.

What pisses off INTJs When people have completely external locusts of control.

Zealous Colorado cops It sounds like a bunch of butt hurt people being external locusts of control and blaming something else for their fuck up.

Last edited by David Bird (2015-09-14 05:06:38)

#2 2015-09-14 20:45:21

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "locusts of control"

A long-time favorite of mine, though I have tended to think of it as an amusing malapropism rather than a real eggcorn. Do you really think these people are thinking of insects? Maybe they are!

(My son’s drawing at the above link is one of my favorites that he’s done; I even have it on a T-shirt I often wear.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2015-09-14 20:53:06)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2015-09-15 05:30:27

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "locusts of control"

I should have remembered that drawing! It’s hard to say what the users are thinking, or not, or if they have locusts of thought at all. It’s hard for me to read these without imagining insect overlords. The alternative would be an assumption that locusts can be something else as well, in a fuzzy suspension of imagery.

Not all of these hits use locusts in the same way. Some say that one can be a locust of control rather than have a locust of control, and that’s an interesting twist.

Last edited by David Bird (2015-09-15 10:26:18)

Board footer