Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-10-05 20:45:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

"To each his zone" for "to each his own"

Yahoo questions What does the American expression, “To each his zone” mean?
Does it mean that everybody gets their own “zone”? What does that say about Iraq then? Shouldn’t the Iraqis get their zone? Why does the U.S. keep meddling over in that zone of the world?

Urban dictionary (999 thumbs down) to each his own
A corruption of the saying, “To each, his zone.”
Simply referring to the fact that people need their personal space.
For example, my friend and I are listening to some guy just blabber on and on about his own little world. We look at each other puzzled and I say, “Well, to each his zone.” Simply due to sounding the same, this has been altered by some to “To each his own”.
Similar to the idea of someone’s “own little world”. I could just as easily say, “Man, he just lives in his own little world.” It would have the same meaning.

To each his zone is well explained by the two first person accounts above. The following is an obscure but wonderful nonce.

Rap bravado OP: @ k!lla don’t u remember we used to go back and forth lool because you called Freddie Gibbs garbage ?
R: i do remember that my view on gibbs remains the same i guess to each his sewn

“To each his sewing” is regrettably not out there.

#2 2015-10-06 02:29:08

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "To each his zone" for "to each his own"

Among the many 1958 Merrie Melodies references are some which may not be mere wordplay:

What works for me may not work with you. To itch his own, really.

Indeed! Volumptuous! I don’t go for those bean poles, I like a woman with a little meat on her bones. But to itch his own, of course!

Sorry if I had to raise so many points. Anyways to itch his own. I’m a Nikon user but would love to have a Leica.

... could probably power a small island running at idle, but why go to so much trouble to look “carny”??? Well, like BC says, to itch his own.

Board footer