Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-01-09 12:59:12

Doctor Skellington

Skellingtons v eggcorns

Since the mid-1990s, my friend and I have been trying to popularise what appear to be called “eggcorns” here. Only now have I come across this site!

We came up with the term “skellingtons” (or “skelingtons”) back then for pretty obvious reasons, much as was done with “eggcorns” *. The key to a skellington is that the subsitution:

a) should be a “new” word that doesn’t already exist (so not a malapropism – for example, giving “short shift” instead of “short shrift” isn’t a skellington, as the word “shift” already exists);
b) may have a “logical” basis for its creation;
b) will often betray a misconception about the term’s origin.

* I know that Jack Skellington is a character from “The Nightmare Before Christmas”, but we still reckon that using “skellington” when you mean “skeleton” is a skellington!

Last edited by Doctor Skellington (2016-01-09 13:00:08)

#2 2016-01-09 17:53:24

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Skellingtons v eggcorns

Apart from your criterion “a”, your criteria are quite consistent with the definition of “eggcorn” (though the necessity for pronunciation similarity between the “acorn” and the “eggcorn” was unmentioned). You and your friend may deserve recognition as pioneers in the study of what have come to be called eggcorns, as, if I’m not mistaken, your skellington studies predate the discussion of “eggcorns” by a few years. (Someone more familiar with the history may correct me on that.)

Welcome to the Skellington Eggcorn Forum, Doc!

#3 2016-01-11 12:49:49

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Skellingtons v eggcorns

Eggcorns, of course, can be real words (e.g. “Fair’s” for “Ferris” in “Fair’s wheel), so they don’t quite match up with skellingtons on point (a).

I’m puzzled by the term “Skellington” as the name, however. Does “skellington” for “skeleton” have the logical base that you mention in point (b)? Or is “skellington,” unlike eggcorn, not an example of what it names?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer