Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-02-23 02:03:26

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"sea of change" for "sea change"

Oceanic metaphors have conveyed vastness, and sometimes tumultuousness, since forever. A couple of song titles come to mind immediately: Blind Faith’s “Sea of Joy” and Spooky Tooth’s “Ocean of Power”. But I heard someone on TV use the term “sea of change” in a context that suggested to me it was an accidental substitution for “sea change” which is defined as: “1. a striking change, as in appearance, often for the better. 2. any major transformation or alteration. 3. a transformation brought about by the sea.” This is a different meaning than the sort of metaphor I just mentioned; “sea change” denotes one specific change, while “sea of change” is a huge mass of changes. Most of those I found online were clearly just the vastness metaphor, or part of an extended nautical analogy, as in “Navigating the Sea of Change”. And in many cases it’s just impossible to determine which usage was intended. But here are a few which I think are likely to be the “sea of change” for “sea change” substitution:

Will 2015 be the Sea of Change for Justice and Equality for the LGBT Community?
law firm site

Alberta’s new NDP government wrapped up its spring session Thursday, passing three bills but inaugurating a sea of change in how the province raises money and finances elections.
news

Study: “Sea of Change” in Juvenile Justice in Maryland
article title

But I think a small sea of change is starting to happen.
article

The second, however, occurs less frequently, but it can happen instantly and represent a sea of change.
blog

Is first black character in Downton part of sea of change for black actors int he UK?
article title

#2 2016-02-23 10:57:56

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "sea of change" for "sea change"

See also others not too clear on the concept: seat change, seed change, see change and C-change.

Board footer