Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-03-06 14:16:10

kem
Eggcornista

court of arms << coat of arms

Gretna Green, in southern Scotland, is the British Las Vegas. In the nineteenth century it was a notorious destination for runaway couples seeking quick and legal matrimony.

Jane Austin makes use of this village and its reputation in her novels. Before Lydia, for example, runs away with Wickham in Pride and Prejudice, she writes to her friend “You will laugh when you know where I am gone, and I cannot help laughing myself at your surprise to-morrow morning, as soon as I am missed. I am going to Gretna Green.”

Other nineteenth-century British writers made use of the racy Gretna Green setting. One of these was Hannah Maria Jones. An obscure writer of potboilers, Ms. Jones published Gretna Green, or the elopement of Miss D- with a gallant son of Mars: Founded on Recent Facts in 1821. In her novel, a pretentious—and underlettered—character, a Mr. Deputy Dickens, buys a used carriage. To impress the object of his affection, he visits the College of Heralds to acquire a coat-of-arms that can be painted on the door panel. Mr. Dickens remarks “As handsome a court-of-arms as one would wish to see of a summer’s day.”

Mr. Dickens “court of arms” slip—admittedly an intentional phrase from the pen of Ms. Jones—can be frequently found with no pun intended on the web. It appears to be an active eggcorn. “Court” and “coat” have little semantic overlap, of course—it is a DNA eggcorn, triggered by the ready association of coats-of-arms and the courts of English nobility.

Ken Lakritz long ago noted, by the way, “code of arms” for “coat of arms.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2016-03-06 23:57:39

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: court of arms << coat of arms

kem wrote:

Ken Lakritz long ago noted, by the way, “code of arms” for “coat of arms.”

I see your “code of arms” and raise you a “coat of farms”:

View from south of the renovated Koblenz Gate, coat of farms of Clemens August of Bavaria, Bonn, North Rhine-Westphalia
photo caption

When contemplated in detail, it is still possible to make out the old coat of farms that once identified the Gràcia village.
comment

Since the XVII century, Casa do Ameal is property of the same family. It was purchased by 3.500 shillings, by record of 20 February 1669. In the outside, there is the coat of farms of the Family.
fancy hotel site

#3 2016-03-08 17:57:30

burred
Eggcornista

Re: court of arms << coat of arms

The coat of arms is more impressive if it holds a quote. The third might be a WTFT.

tats talk
I want to get an Andean Condor (my mom is from Chile) with the chilean quote of arms “por la razon o la fuerza” which means by reason or by force….

Dominican Creole motto
I think the need to change that quote of arms from “Apres Bondie C’est La Ter’ to ‘apres Skerrit epe Peter say Miser’

frozen head
To quote the British quote of arms: Honi soit qui mal y pense (Shame on him who thinks evil of it).

DIY haroldry
Create your own Oath & Quote of Arms for your family

Board footer