Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-07-31 23:05:22

David Bird
Eggcornista

Variations on papier mâché

As I slipped the disk into the player, I noticed that the first song on my Joao Bosco CD is called Papel Marché. Bosco is a Brazilian troubador. Papel Marché, or “market paper”, looks to be a kind of translinguistic eggcorn for papier mâché. Papier mâché, in French, is “chewed paper”. Portuguese Wikipedia says the title is a mal-escrito for the correct spelling, papel machê. That’s because there is not yet, as far as I know, a name in Portuguese for an eggcorn.

When I was a kid we called it paper maché, as most do. I always considered the maché part to be their word for “mashed”. Some take it further, all the way to paper mushy. In the examples that follow, we see other hits for papel marché, as well as a mashup of eggcorns for papier mâché in English, French and German.

casal de gatos em papel marché
Portuguese cat couple

Marionette Papier Marche Puppet Making Part Two
Jane and I are continuing to make our Papier Marche’ Puppets.
English market paper

objets en papier marché explorés par les touristes.
French poteau rose

Lucien à son âge est trop maigre, il a une mine de papier marché
French he has a market paper look

treinstel in papier massé
Sauvegarder € 15,00
Vue 22 fois depuis 28 mai 2016
Belgian massed (or collected, or massaged) paper train set

Papier-mâché (papier-masse in German, cartapesta in Italian) is a porridge-like mass made of torn paper soaked in water, mixed with binders & an adhesive (starch, for instance) and a filler (chalk, plaster of Paris and clay).
German eichel

The translated form of papier mâché is Pappmache or Pappmaché.

Papier masse and Clay/Green stuff sculpting on the outside.
English paper mass

Here are some hits for paper mushy.

With my daughter makin a paper mushy of king tutt!!
facebook

We also fitted the rocket with a winged mini-skirt and the snazzy paper-mushy cap (repaired, after it was brutalized in Cambridge)...
The paper-mushy cap was shredded in minute pieces scattered in a circle of radius 20 m (seriously)!
Rocket design

chewing gum and metal mastic with a good squirt of underbodycsealant goes down well at VOSA.
R1: ;) it used to, along with a cornflakes box to make a wing and foot well and paper mushy to fill the sills,
OP:: Thanks 90truckcab. Ive never heard of the paper mushy trick. Im gonna have to try that one.
British jeep repair tip

#2 2016-08-01 04:26:07

crispybacon

Re: Variations on papier mâché

These are nice! At first I was surprised you managed to find “paper mushy” but it does make a lot of sense.

If you want to make a golf club:

Not how to do paper mashie (cute video from Scotland):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcnqDpYhW-E

Paper mashie poem: http://poetfreak.com/537626/paper-peopl … eator.html
You could build a better paper world
A world where A4 roads lead to portrait landscapes
Where paper mashie streams lead to paper mashie oceans
Where paper mashie fish swim in abundance…

NEED HELP how do u make paper mashie
http://phen0type.proboards.com/thread/8 … per-mashie

#3 2016-08-07 02:36:42

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Variations on papier mâché

A ‘marsh’ is soft and wet too.

Papier marshe’ jewelry is an easy craft that helps work on fine motor skills in nursery school-age children. To make Papier marshe’ jewelry such as necklaces or …

And what of the pap itself?

pappy1. pronunciation: pae pi. part of speech: · adjective · inflections: pappier, pappiest. definition: paplike; mushy.

Interests, reading books, drawing, photography, pappier mashe sculpturing, Origami.

Board footer