Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-08-30 03:53:47

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"gush" for "gust"

There are lots of these.

Matt throws a frisbee off a mountain and a gush of wind forces it to the sky.
YouTube caption

I hate it when a gush of wind blows your hair into a middle parting
Facebook silliness

A sudden unexpected gush of wind from a mountainous shore which allows a ship more leeway.
Indian Navy document

Khloe Kardashian in a gush of wind
photo caption

A cloud moves in front of the moon, darkening the landscape, and a giant gush of wind whooshes into his room.
story summary

A faint gush of wind billows the curtains, and we huddle closer beside the fire, listening to the pop of chestnuts and crackle of first snow melting from the roof.
humor site

Short of perp confessions, it’d be hard to determine eggcornicity in any particular case, because the speaker or writer could really have meant to use “gush” for its own meaning, rather than confusing it with “gust”. Nevertheless, “gust of wind” is so standard that I think it’s safe to assume a good percentage of these are indeed eggcorns—maybe in some cases blends of “gust” with “rush”. But how to prove it?

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2016-08-30 03:59:46)

#2 2016-08-31 14:30:01

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "gush" for "gust"

Sometimes I’m reluctant to assume anything.

A blinding blue light lit the cave and a gushed of wind swept through the caves.

But the weather is not in favor of them that day as a strong gushed of wind blew away the gas before it could affect anyone.

#3 2016-08-31 23:30:15

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "gush" for "gust"

Good ones. I especially like the past tense (“gushed”) standing in for “gust.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer