Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-08-31 23:27:24

kem
Eggcornista

even kill << even keel

We’ve had “keel/kill” confusions on the Eggcorn Forum before. “Kill over and die.” “Killhaul.” I (think I) heard another one on NPR today “even kill” instead of “even keel.” (7:01 of the podcast here ) Some web examples:

Comment on a rating survey for the drug Vyvanse: “It actually worked for my ADD, and I liked how it kept me on an even kill all day.”

Comment on a UK horse forum: “I have a friend that when we used to compete we were on an even kill. ”

Comment on an ADHD thread in a parenting forum: “We try to keep things on an even kill at home and no fighting or arguing in front of him.”

Dieting forum: “My sugar level might be on an even kill and that might be why I am not hungry.”

Post on a financial forum: “Just like everything in life, you need to balance things out so that you keep life on an even kill. ”

Health forum: “Dr gave me zanax which stablized me at an even kill.

Some of the hits are just examples of bad spelling. But I can see a semantic rationale for “kill.” When forces in battle are balanced, you can get an even kill on both sides of skirmish. Being “on an even kill” reflects this sort of balance (sans mayhem).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2016-09-07 15:00:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: even kill << even keel

It works for me. Here’s something from a gaming forum which lends a little support, perhaps:

The odds may seem against you, but these tips will put you on an even killing field.

Board footer