Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-09-13 13:09:05

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Lockerheads" for "loggerheads"

Loggerheads, as in “at loggerheads with”, were iron implements consisting of a large ball, with a handle, that could placed in the fire and then used to heat your soup or laundry. They must have been handy in a dispute. A loggerhead could also refer to a lunkhead, dunderhead or numbskull. To be at lockerheads with strikes me as an eggcornery blend with “to lock horns over”. The later hits, below, show direct evidence of that connection.

Record review Rönkkö’s beats sit at lockerheads with the band’s vocals and instrumentation for the album’s duration, constantly grappling each other for control.

Meds forum My GP and Therapist are at lockerheads suggesting the opposite

Gov’t news The PTA is at lockerheads with the CDC over the proposed closure of the school.

boxing news For most of this game Boris Valabik and Phil Kessel had been at locker horns with lots of pushing and shoving

cell phonery The FBI was at lock horns with Apple regarding breaking into an Apple iPhone 5c used by the terrorists in the San Bernardino attacks.

Book club My best friend and I are still at lock horns with her unbudging attitude that Cecilia should not have opened the letter

See also at lagerheads with in the database.

Last edited by David Bird (2016-09-13 13:09:29)

#2 2016-09-14 13:33:04

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "Lockerheads" for "loggerheads"

The learned SPP referring to the statement of one Prabhu would submit that this petitioner and the deceased were at larger heads. They were leading rival groups of local rowdies.
legal document

Yeah I think they were kind of at larger heads occasionally, but not very often and not too bad.
interview

GOP VS Democrats, bulls shiiite.SHOWTIME, all these guys need to do is go along and and make the pretence they are at largerheads. The very few who give a twit are ignored, shunned.

“At larger heads” suggests to me people in disagreement getting sort of puffed up with anger and looking big. It also reminds me of the term “dick measuring contest”, referring to an interpersonal conflict.

(I also like the phrase “give a twit” in that last example. Apparently it’s fairly common—maybe a euphemism for “give a shit”? See here for discussion of “twit” in this sense.)

#3 2016-09-15 06:40:13

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I’m having difficulty in digesting either the database’s lager or Dixon’s larger and can keep them down only by viewing them as mis-spellings of this from The Chicago Tribune, March 2nd, 1900:

IT Is believed now by the British that the Pretorlan guards and the Orange Free- Staters themselves will soon be at laager- heads.

One meaning of the South African laager is “an entrenched position or viewpoint that is defended against opponent” which seems to cover it nicely. There are a few supporting examples;

The feud betwen singer Ziza bafana and Bebe cool is not to cease soon, the two have been at laager heads since early last year, it all began …

The Holy Spirit, who is the producer of unity, is grieved when we are at laager heads with one another.

#4 2016-09-16 11:32:07

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

On the other hand, that fallen tree in the distance could well be the cause of all the disagreement:

Everybody is at log-aheads with everybody else in Britain, I think they call it a secular society. ?

My Sennheiser pair just performs as before, which leads me to believe that some driver stack is at log aheads with certain vendors, since i can’t even search for the list of devices around me, let alone save their profiles.

There is an entire facebook page dedicated to people at log aheads with Nissan over the rear bucks snapping off the back of the Navara …

Just out of interest, about thirty five years ago I was having a drink in the Loggerheads Hotel, Loggerheads, Staffordshire (though it feels more like Shropshire) where an old bloke told me at great length a tale of two local families and their abiding feud which had resulted in the expression at loggerheads. In very recent days I have discovered the owld sod was lying to me, or perhaps the venerable gent was himself misled. Either way, I’ve been dozily mizzling others with this false tale ever since.

#5 2016-09-16 12:08:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

“Log-ahead” makes eggcornish sense, as a log blocking the road ahead could stop progress, including progress in reaching an agreement.

Board footer