Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-09-13 13:58:43

burred
Eggcornista

"Worn-torn" for war-torn

Worn-torn for war-torn could be just an anticipation error, so I’ve placed it here. It certainly fits as a simple substitute for the original. I heard it first in an interview with Randy and Evi Quaid, about the celebrity couple’s flight from star whackers and aluminati oppression, and the woman Evi met from worn torn Sri Lanka.

chat Can someone please explain the following regarding the Syrian refugees arriving in Europe from worn torn destinations.

Child Find their incredible story of a secret covert operation to rescue Mel’s 2 daughters from worn-torn Lebanon where they were taken by their father.

News caption Residents walk through rubble in worn-torn Aleppo Reuters

Theatre review recent highlights include Lynn Nottage’s Pulitzer Prize-winning “Ruined” set in the worn-torn Democratic Republic of Congo.

Last edited by burred (2016-09-13 14:01:46)

#2 2016-09-14 11:20:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "Worn-torn" for war-torn

Worn-torn for war-torn could be just an anticipation error

Well, yes it could, but it could be as easily assumed to be yet another instance of reduplicatioin like nitty-gritty or harum-scarum. And given some of the entries in the database I’d be reluctant to deny it an eggcornish interpretation.

#3 2016-09-16 22:16:44

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Worn-torn" for war-torn

“Worn-torn” is really, really common. I don’t think all these examples could be anticipation errors.

Speaking of “anticipation.” There are a number of printed examples of “inticipation.” How’s that for self-reference?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer