Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-10-03 10:00:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

Sheer muslims

There are several different denominations within the Islamic religion: Sunni, Shia, Sufi, among others. I wouldn’t want to venture an uninformed guess as to the purity or devotedness of the one or the other. But some have, in thinking that there are Sheer Muslims.

The Safir Al Sayedah Zeinab Hotel is located in Damascus, Syria, adjacent to an Islamic shrine, the subject of pilgrimage by the Sheer Muslims from all over the world.
Hotel blurb

The Iraqis persecuted the sheer muslims living in the south of Iraq
Facts surrounding Iraq war

Lebanon has a lot of Sheer Muslims.
From a politics course, Australia

It’s possible that there is potential for a cottage industry in discovering eggcorns based on the nonrhotic transformation of words ending in -ia and -eer.

#2 2016-10-19 11:50:26

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Sheer muslims

potential for a cottage industry in discovering eggcorns based on the nonrhotic transformation of words ending in -ia and -eer.

Not sure. There are a limited number of common English words ending in “eer.”

I see a few examples of “via” for “veered:”

Tech forum: “yes I’ve completely viaed off the topic here”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer