Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-10-03 14:00:06

CatherineR
Eggcornista

cancer-sticking for cancer-stricken

A political meme circulating on Facebook this week accuses Newt Gingrich of leaving his “cancer-sticking” wife. Haven’t seen it elsewhere. Does it mean she’s stuck with cancer?

#2 2016-10-03 17:11:50

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: cancer-sticking for cancer-stricken

My wife is dead and I had to find out from an autopsy report that she was a cancer-stickin’-time bomb…
fan fiction

Also, there seem to be quite a few examples of “cancer sticken” online, but they could easily be typos, and it’d be difficult if not impossible to distinguish typos from eggcorns in this case, so I decided not to go there.

#3 2016-10-05 09:41:18

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: cancer-sticking for cancer-stricken

Does it mean she’s stuck with cancer?

Perhaps what lies behind this is the phrase ‘stick it to the man’ which, with its defiant challenge, must surely have influenced the Stick it to Cancer charity. My guess is that Mrs Gingrich is either a stoical sufferer of cancer or a supporter of such a charity.
Alternatively, but even less likely, at one time cigarettes were cheerily referred to as cancer sticks, which would make ‘cancer-sticking’ Mrs Gingrich no more than an enthusiastic smoker.

Board footer