Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-11-20 01:19:05

Wordsmyth

"confirmation" for conformation

In Roseburg, Oregon’s daily paper, The News-Review, on the front page of the Saturday, November 19, 2016 edition, under the caption “Dogs put on a show for the community,” the word “confirmation” was used throughout the news article when “conformation” was clearly required. See Page A1 below, and scroll down to lower right caption stated. (This paper truly needs a preafrooder.)

http://www.nrtoday.com/eedition/page-a/ … 8b562.html

Dog Show Terminology 101 – iHeartDogs.com
iheartdogs.com/dog-show-terminology-101/
Dec 17, 2015 – Breed Type – The sum of a dog’s characteristics that distinguishes it as a particular breed.

Conformation competition is also commonly referred to as “breed competition.” The term “dog confirmation,” on the other hand, is reserved for dogs who confirm their faith by regularly attending Catholic Mass.
Dog Show Terminology – Showdogs.org
www.showdogs.org/NipissingKC/glossary.htm

Last edited by Wordsmyth (2016-11-20 01:26:01)

#2 2016-11-20 18:34:53

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "confirmation" for conformation

Do you see some meaningful understanding of the slip on the part of the originator? Or is it just a malaprop, or a mishearing on their part that doesn’t make sense in the context. Generally, when a new candidate eggcorn is proposed to the Contribute! forum, it is incumbent on the proponent to make a case for eggcorn status, especially when it is not obvious, by explaining the logic of the altered form. Things that are not (quite) eggcorns, or for which there is room for doubt, but which are otherwise interesting or notable can be entered in the Slips, Innovations and Reshapings thread. There may be a case made for confirmation competition but I leave the pleasure to you.

#3 2016-11-21 01:09:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

The perps may be thinking that “confirmation” in the context of a dog show might mean that the dog’s behavior confirms that it is a high-quality pooch, and/or that the dog is confirmed as a high-quality pooch by the judges.

#4 2016-11-23 02:16:14

Wordsmyth

The examples I gave speak for themselves. Using the incorrect term three times in a front page news article is hardly a slip of the tongue. It is pure ignorance of dog show terminology compounded by lack of inquiry to confirm the term. I injected the third reference as a bit of humor. Did this go under or over youse guys’ heads? And here I thought I was making my case for eggcorn status as instructed by you, my dear mentors, especially since I checked the database for a duplicate, of which there was none, and thought I was onto something really worthy. Back to sucking eggs…

Last edited by Wordsmyth (2016-11-23 02:17:46)

#5 2016-11-23 05:41:53

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Wordsmyth wrote:

The examples I gave speak for themselves. Using the incorrect term three times in a front page news article is hardly a slip of the tongue.

Right you are. It’s manifestly not just a slip of the tongue, but rather a consistent substitution. I think David’s question was about whether a plausible meaning connection exists between the acorn and its proposed eggcorn. Such a meaning connection is required for eggcornicity. Without it, what you have is just some sort of amusing substitution such as a malaprop. Note that David took no position as to whether that meaning connection exists, awaiting proposals, while I proposed a possible one. Myself, I think it’s an eggcorn.

I injected the third reference as a bit of humor. Did this go under or over youse guys’ heads?

Nope.

And here I thought I was making my case for eggcorn status as instructed by you, my dear mentors, especially since I checked the database for a duplicate, of which there was none, and thought I was onto something really worthy.

Good effort. I believe that, what with your start and my supplying a plausible meaning connection between acorn and eggcorn, the case for eggcornicity has been made.

Back to sucking eggs…

You sound mortified. Relax! You’re doing fine.

Board footer