Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-11-21 01:04:38

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

F&a!

“Fuckin’ A”, or sometimes “fuckin’ A right” is a slang way of expressing strong agreement. I learned it in Army basic training in 1969. I don’t know the derivation. Some people euphemize it as “Effin’ A”, which has given rise to the occasional substitution “F&A”.

F&A dude, that shit is beautiful. Big ups to you bro.
cannabis discussion

D-A-W-G….Now that’s what I’m talkin’ ‘bout! Awesome, Cool, F&A dude….
motorcycle discussion

F&A right buddy?
tweet

The pronunciation similarity is obvious, but any eggcornish meaning connection is perhaps not so strong. I’m thinking the perps may just think that “F&A” is an abbreviation for some unknown phrase that denotes agreement.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2016-11-21 01:06:27)

#2 2016-11-21 12:59:32

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: F&a!

Or maybe they even have a phrase that has initials F and A that they are abbreviating. Something might have developed that we aren’t even aware of as a back-formation to make F&A make sense. If it hasn’t yet, and if F&A becomes widespread, something might happen.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#3 2016-11-21 14:55:50

David Bird
Eggcornista

Dixon, I think you’ll be charmed by an earlier post from your alter eagle. F&A would fit nicely in our treasure grove of letterate eggcorns.

#4 2016-11-23 05:24:33

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird wrote:

Dixon, I think you’ll be charmed by an earlier post from your alter eagle.

I thought I vaguely remembered such a conversation, but that thread didn’t show up when I searched under “F&A”.

F&A would fit nicely in our treasure grove of letterate eggcorns.

Agreed!

#5 2016-11-23 21:00:44

Wordsmyth

IM(not so)HO, “Fuckin’ A” goes along with “un-fuckin’(g)-believable” and the lovely joke I’m about to tell:

Lady goes into grocery store and asks for onions.
Clerk says onions are out of stock at this time.
Lady persists and reiterates request.
Clerk tells her to spell “onions.”
She does so.
Clerk then says he will spell it and says: “onfuckingions.”
Lady says “There no ‘fuck’ in “onions”.
Clerk says “That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you!”

All this by way of saying the “F” word is being injected verbally into the middle of many other words to indicate extreme feeling rather than letting the original word convey its normal meaning, per the above examples. It’s a continuing trend that allows people to “get it out of their system” via acceptable (i.e, conversational) vulgarity.

#6 2016-11-25 14:44:05

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

When I first learned the term in 1969, the guy who told me what it meant said that it was spelled “fuckin’ aye” (with the “aye” pronounced like “a” rather than the usual “i” pronunciation). I doubt that’s the real derivation, though, because how many people pronounce “aye” like “a” rather than “i”? Alternatively, maybe it’s “A”, short for “agreed” or something like that.

I do agree with you that “fuckin’” here is an intensifier modifying the affirmative “A” or “aye”.

#7 2016-11-28 05:43:00

Eoin

It’s also good to remember the difference between “fuckin’ A, man” and “fuckin’ a man.”

#8 2016-11-28 10:44:16

burred
Eggcornista

Eoin, Robby could have used that advice here.

Board footer