Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-12-21 15:36:48

burred
Eggcornista

"Pleasurism" for plagiarism

In the midst of a column of grammar complaints on a forum for SciFi fans, this gem:

Hal Winslow’s Old Buddy on February 11, 2016 at 10:48 pm said:
When I taught at Purdue, one of my students produced the following:
“You should never pleasurize someone else’s work.”
That one carried me through many looses/loses and cites/sites/sights (though “websights” is growing on me–like a fungus, perhaps).
http://file770.com/?p=27486&cpage=3

It is certainly pleasurable to just copy someone else’s ready-made work rather than struggle to write your own.

As a side note, the “Charlie’s Angels” that Mel Tillis came out with was pleasurized from our record, but they don’t steal songs just like there’s no more payola…..
Guitar forum

The Bill of Rights was pleasurized from Quakers, people the mainstream Christians did not care for.
Politics forum

The parallels between him and Jesus are uncanny to say the least. Not to mention that the flood story in the book of Genesis was actually pleasurized from the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Religion

It came from a well known author and story teller, Lowell ” Okie” Whitmire. That was way back in the sixth grade. I think it was pleasurized from an English book .
Family name forum

Before pledging support to UDC, Dumelang Saleshando would have been perfectly placed to decide this one for us whether or not there was pleasurism of the land policy, whether there are too many similarities, gone are those days of robust democratic debates.
Facebook ploitics

I have been reading the series of books in line and did not appreciate the amount of pleasurism from previous books. Felt like I was re-reading the previous books at times.
Book review

Evidence for the pleasure connection from the ever-dependable Yahoo questions.

What does pleasurise mean?
Best Answer: It is a neologism (new word) not in standard English. It is the same as saying “to pleasure” someone, or ‘give (someone) pleasure’.
Yahoo questions

See also plaguerize.

Last edited by burred (2016-12-21 16:59:33)

#2 2017-01-02 11:47:57

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Pleasurism" for plagiarism

“Plaguerize” I sort of get. But “pleasurize?” Seems almost like a controcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2017-01-02 12:21:07

yanogator
Eggcornista

I invented the word “plagiarism”, you know!

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2017-01-03 09:23:31

burred
Eggcornista

Pleasurism is surely mostly mondegrenous, encouraged in places where pleasure is pronounced playzher. I agree that it doesn’t work as an eggcorn if it is assumed to refer to the source being plagiarized; it can only be reflexive. Self-pleasure. From this angle, pleasurism is a stronger eggcorn candidate than pleasurize is.

Last edited by burred (2017-01-04 13:49:59)

Board footer