Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-03-24 12:39:36

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'Ming condition' for 'mint condition'

A quick glance at the keyboard suggests this is a typo, a mere south-south-easterly finger-slip with no eggcornish pretensions. On further reflection though, and with some desperation for I haven’t found a new eggcorn in many months, it seems quite possible to be unaware of coin making mintishness, and assume mint is no more than a plant or a flavour. In addition some examples have Ming rather than ming which could indicate a sense of rare, valuable or highly prized. The difference in sound between the two doesn’t seem insuperable, particularly for those of us with glottal stops for example.

... euro liners wheel trims, just had 4 brand new tyres, has a 8 tone Ramsey which , 060 double push hiab in Ming condition, new shape mirrors, ...

... euro liners wheel trims, just had 4 brand new tyres, has a 8 tone Ramsey which , 060 double push hiab in Ming condition, new shape mirrors, ...

All complete with minifigures and apart from a layer of dust in Ming condition.

Box has missing flap on one side but all original inserts and console w paddles & joystick in Ming condition!

This is in Ming condition with 128 mb flash card for saving files and 16 mb internal ram.

... it is powered by 2 12g cartridges, bought with the intention to get into air soft but never really did, the gun is in Ming condition and comes with spare mag and a …

Cognac Colored Italian Leather size. 7.5. Pre owned and in Ming condition.

#2 2017-03-25 14:42:36

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: 'Ming condition' for 'mint condition'

In http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=4982 we visited various similar options, but not this one.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#3 2017-03-30 11:20:15

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Yes, that’s where I should have put it, and having contributed to the thread I have even less excuse for missing it.
Part of my interest in this ming thing, now I reflect on it, was that ming is a Scots word for a bad smell, and in recent years minging and minger, very negative terms, have become widely used in informal BrEnglish. ‘Ming’ seems more highly pitched and penetrating than ‘pong’ for instance, and curiously appropriate, and makes me wonder about the sting in stink too.

#4 2017-04-12 20:18:47

David Bird
Eggcornista

I love my winter coat so much that I’ve worn it for 19 years now. It’s starting to attract negative comment, unfortunately.

put me in the jungle I’ma come out with a ming coat and fatter than the other animals from feeding on them
Favorite Quote From A Movie

Board footer