Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-10 15:34:10

zuppa

back round for background

I have had several middle school students look at me in wonder when I explained that there was a “g” in this word and how the word “ground” actually made sense as part of it. To them “background” was “the stuff around in the back.” Has anybody else seen this one?

#2 2006-08-10 15:50:44

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: back round for background

You can quickly do a search for this sort of thing on Google.

“Back round information” gets over 2500 raw hits.
“Back round check” gets over 500.

In a number of cases, writers have connected the two words with a hyphen—indicating that it’s not just a case of a dropped “g.”

#3 2007-12-11 14:22:39

unapologetic

I joined the forum with this one in mind, to see if it had been submitted yet – “backround” with no space yields 250,000 results on Google, too. It seems to be a very common misunderstanding of the word “background”, in all it’s uses. Lots of sites seem to be using the sans-”g” version … seems like a great candidate for eggcorn-dom…

“Stock Photograph of a Black Desk Lamp on a Red Backround .”

“Interactive66.com has the Webpage Design Backround you need for solid web site Design.”

etc, etc…

#4 2007-12-12 10:20:31

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

this is classic, I think. Because the background is all the way around the item.

I gotta share this one w/ my mom!

#5 2018-11-14 02:59:05

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I just encountered this one recently and decided to resurrect this old thread about it for those who’ve never seen it.

To bad they didnt paint the signing of the Constitution in the back round,they were deplorables too and I’m proud to be a deplorable.
news article

Board footer