Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-04-28 22:30:53

David Bird
Eggcornista

The Liar Bird (no relation)

The astounding Lyrebird is named for the fancied position of its tail feathers, thought by museum workers to resemble a lyre, though in life the feathers are not displayed like a peacock’s tail. Its uncanny ability to mimic sounds from its environment leads its almost inevitable portayal as a liar bird. I came to this one through hearing about the newly crafted ability of a computer app, Lyrebird, to spout lies in the voice of anyone.

Bird ID help
Sleepyguy asked: “It varies so much… some sound like a hawk, some like a cricket… its like a bunch of different birds but i could tell its just one.
i live in california if that helps at all”
EMKO replied: “i think its a liar bird them birds can copy any sound on earth eg machine guns other birds and animals …..just look it up on the net hope this helped

Radio contest – guess the sound
A liar bird replicating the sound of a camera

Urban lexicon
Lithios
A creature similar to a liar bird. It mimmicks the black-rap jiggy stylings of artists such as Tupac in an attempt to convince casual observers it is in fact a gangsta.

The biology of rock The unlikely pair, who found common ground in music and biology, also discussed gibbons – who sing as a couple once they have mated – and the liar bird, famous for its ability to mimic sounds.

#2 2017-05-05 23:08:15

kem
Eggcornista

Re: The Liar Bird (no relation)

We are getting quite a list of zoological/botanical eggcorns. Algal boom, climbatis, colorophyll, crap apples, dieciduous, zeroscape, hybred, pompous grass. We owe a great debt of thanks to all these people who skipped language courses so they could take math and science courses.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer