Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-07-06 01:38:45

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"fullscap" for "foolscap"

Foolscap is an extra-long paper size, so called because, hundreds of years ago, it bore a watermark in the shape of a fool’s cap. The Eggcorn Database has an entry for fullscape. I find that “fullscap” is also common, mostly in catalog descriptions.

Fullscap Sheet
Ream of 500 sheets
catalog

Fullscap or foolscap paper?
Q&A site

Hard Cover Book 200 Pages Fullscap Size With Numbering
catalog

The “full” part makes sense to describe an extra-long sheet of paper, but “scap” seems incomprehensible. But I reckon that being able to make sense of one of the two syllables is sufficient for eggcornicity.

#2 2017-07-10 12:07:25

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "fullscap" for "foolscap"

But I reckon that being able to make sense of one of the two syllables is sufficient for eggcornicity.

Me too, but here’s a possibility for that second syllable. A4 is clearly receding and A5 is nigh on bald.

if I write tree my own letter, 2 fullscalp sheet won’t contain it.

Now i cant afford a rm12 sketchbook. i shall use back fullscalp paper instead

A fullscalp sheet of paper is #10, envelope 10.

#3 2017-07-10 12:33:01

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "fullscap" for "foolscap"

Looking for the logical double-yolker, I came across this: foolscap << fullscape.

Otherwise, the illogical next step :

Before the devil gives you a sheet of paper,remember that he has already taken a fool scalp notebook from you. he gives nothing for free.
http://vcn-business.net/we-all-need-some-laughter/

Board footer