Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-11-25 04:29:49

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"loop" for "loupe"

This one is already in the Eggcorn Database, so I’m posting it (under Eggcornology rather than the Contribute category) so people can more easily see it (and because I recently encountered an example of it). Here’s most of the Database entry, posted by one Rod Williams over 13 years ago (a long time in the context of eggcorn history):

Jewelers loop instead of jeweler’s loupe.
“Recently my husband bought a jewelers loop to look at pieces we sometimes come across at estate sales etc.”
“I looked at it through a jewelers loop and discovered an A in the top left corner and a C in the bottom right with a Sword in a Stone between them.” (eBay auction description)

And here’s the example I recently found:

You’ll need a magnifying glass or jeweler’s loop to check the condition of the marble, so you can see how bad the inevitable chips, flakes, or scratches are on a game-played marble.
marbles article

It’s easy to see how a loupe (a small magnifying glass) could be visualized as loop-shaped. Hence, I’m calling this an eggcorn.

#2 2018-11-30 12:06:57

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "loop" for "loupe"

The word “loupe” (in French, from where English borrowed it) can mean “loop.” The small magnifiers got their name, I think, from their resemblance to loops of metal. So if there is eggcorn substance in the substitution, it is probably just returning the word to its source (returning, that is, for English speakers-for French speakers the word would always have been linked to its source).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer