Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-12-09 21:45:25

kem
Eggcornista

racket science << rocket science

Came across “it’s not racket science” in one of the twitter feeds I follow. Turns out it is quite a common replacement of “it’s not rocket science.” Examples.

forum post: “Or even less modern approach and little coarse one would be acceptable: option in menu to do it. It is not racket science.”

Tech blog: “Do you like this code? Yes this is nothis special and for sure this is not racket science.”

Education blog: “Kudos to the Mayor, for those of us who toil in the academic vineyards it is not racket science, if kids don’t come to school on a regular basis their chances of success are slim. ”

I’m having trouble imagining what image would motivate this change.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2018-12-09 23:14:54

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: racket science << rocket science

A few years ago, I heard one of my college students say, “It’s not brain science”, merging “rocket science” with “brain surgery”.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#3 2018-12-11 05:01:38

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

Came across “it’s not racket science” in one of the twitter feeds I follow. Turns out it is quite a common replacement of “it’s not rocket science.”...
...I’m having trouble imagining what image would motivate this change.

Possibly there’s a notion that “racket science” would be bad science in the service of some scam or racket; there’s certainly plenty of that around. Those saying “It’s not racket science” may mean that the idea they’re conveying is true.

#4 2018-12-11 09:18:30

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Kem had reported (in what must have been one of his first posts , since jorkel welcomed him to the forum after it) “it’s not rocket surgery”, which is of course the flip side of “not brain science”, but more strikingly anomalous. “Brain science” could possibly be an independent formation, but “rocket surgery” is much less likely to be so. (Though I can imagine that building and perhaps even more repairing rocket components might be so ticklish that one might be inspired to employ surgery as a metaphor for the process.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2018-12-11 09:41:54

kem
Eggcornista

Feeling old today.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer