Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-12-10 09:43:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

keep in eye on/out for

I’ll be sure to keep in eye on the site.

David, the bartender, always keeps in eye on your drink, making sure you never run out of it.

They kept in eye on her while she was there, but hey didn’t otherwise interfere.

George gave John a glance as he kept in eye on the battlefield behind Long and Sally.

It’s worth keeping in eye on the odds as we get closer to Saturday.

I got to work more independently during my internship however the ladies still kept in eye on my work.

The “Santa Cam” keeps in eye on the little ones for Santa. It helps him keep up with who’s naught or nice.

There seem to be quite a few of them. It strikes me as likely a blend of keep an eye on with things like keep in contact with or keep in touch (with) or keep (within) sight of or keep [it] in sight . It can work eggcornishly to some extent if “in eye” means something like “in sight = the (/your) field of vision”, though of course the on [obj] versus just a regular direct object is rather odd. (I.e. why not “keep him in eye” or perhaps “keep in eye of him” rather than “keep in eye on him”.)
A step more bizarre, but similarly numerous:

Keep in eye out for the new Abasi Concepts guitars equipped with the Tosin Abasi Signature Humbuckers.

Thus if a tOurist sets out to follow the White Horse Trail he will keep in eye out for the white horse’s head

Fortunately, I had called to let her know I had ordered flowers (SO MUCH FOR THE SURPRISE) so she kept in eye out for the delivery man

Living in Seattle we are always keeping in eye out for fabulous shoots that you can do in the rain.

Again, if it’s an eggcorn based on in eye = “in sight”, what’s the out for doing?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-12-10 09:52:25)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2019-12-11 04:17:33

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: keep in eye on/out for

There is an in too in the expression, ‘keep your eye in’, meaning to avoid losing a previously acquired skill or knack, enabling us to keep our eye in, on, off or out. And sometimes two of them at once.

Keep an eye on out for future developments.

Funfair-themed, karaoke-filled or bouncy-castle based, more are being added to our listings all the time, so keep an eye on out.

Keep an eye on out as our range increases.

Last edited by Peter Forster (2019-12-11 10:58:42)

#3 2019-12-26 12:03:24

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I am becoming aware of how many people dictate into their phones and allow the machine to decide which words they say. Maybe in < an is generated by that process instead of something more interesting.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2019-12-26 23:57:41

yanogator
Eggcornista

I’m sure David is right in some of these cases. I’ve noticed a general increase in “in” for “an” this year.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer