Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2020-01-27 19:05:42

kem
Eggcornista

leant weight to << lent weight to

The other day I was composing an email and I wrote that something “leant weight to” something else. After writing the phrase, it didn’t look right. A few seconds later, the light turned on-I should have written “lent weight to,” with “lent” being the irregular preterite of “lend.” The origin of the idiomatic phrase “lend weight to” seems to be a metaphor of sorts: you add weight to something by lending (loaning) it more mass.

Apparently I’m not the only one to have made this leant/lent mistake. A lot of speakers spell “lent weight to” as “leant weight to.” A few thousand examples.

Mapping the two phrases on ngram suggests that the error occurs about 1% of the time.

Possibly something eggcornish happening here. Or some interaction with the idiom “leaning your weight on” (i.e., pressuring).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2020-03-04 04:30:54

Dadge
Eggcornista

Re: leant weight to << lent weight to

I don’t think this is an eggcorn. Lent/leant are frequently misspelled. I suppose it would help if spellcheckers highlighted the meaning and frequency (rather than just the existence) of words, but they don’t.

Board footer