Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-02-27 00:17:49

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

stiffle

This is probably a reading eggcorn: people who don’t know the word stifle from spoken language reading it, pronouncing it internally with an [ɪ] rather than an [aʲ], eggcorning in the idea of a lack of motion from the adjectival stiff (or perhaps some version of the verbal stiff with its idea of causing lack of motion or something of the sort), and then spelling that pronunciation a bit differently (or using the standard spelling for the newly eggcorned meaning). Stiff would then be understood to have been combined with the -le frequentative or “pulsative” (to coin a term?), possibly verbalizing suffix. There are plenty of examples.
(Sometimes, of course, it might be a dittographic typo, e.g. in the second example below. Or maybe it was eggcornically spelt twice and the proofreader only caught the second one.)

GIRLS HOCKEY: Dragons’ offense stiffled in shutout loss to Willmar

[Headline:] Jibe is meant to stiffle debate – Pure Water Gazette ¶ [Body:] This jibe is meant to stifle debate. There is nothing anti-American about opposing the drive to war.

I had to clamp a hand over my mouth to stiffle a giggle.

She feels stiffled at the strict rules of the Benedictine sisterhood, which once gave her life a sense of meaning.

I am not trying to stiffle anyones opinion, I just know from other forums the particular ‘hot button’ topics.

With all due respect, the method described in the original post seems to completely stiffle creativity

Rifle (v.) and riffle are perhaps the same song, first verse, but both are accepted, with somewhat different meanings (but still pretty close ones, involving a non-careful search).

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-07-19 05:57:08)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2021-03-02 19:42:03

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: stiffle

And don’t forget that stifle is the only word that is an anagram of itself.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#3 2021-03-07 04:39:46

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: stiffle

Good one, Bruce. Don’t think I had seen that one.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer