Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-02-21 14:44:49

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

fluent < affluent

“We Americans are very prosperous”, a friend said (more or less), then added (verbatim, I think):

We are just very fluent

which he followed up by saying something to the effect that “we have more than we need”. It’s possible that he meant to pronounce, and may indeed have pronounced too weakly for me to hear, an initial “af-” syllable. But others have written it without that syllable on the Internet

For one, we live in a very fluent society Things are given to us. We prosper especially in our our society today

We have a very fluent society where many people because their needs are being met. They don’t see any need of god.

This book gives the picture of the very fluent society that is influenced by any only national but international factors.

This may well be a kind of etymological reconstruction, but metaphors of fluidity and liquidity seem fit naturally with the idea of prosperity (a land flowing with milk and honey, liquid assets, money flooding in, the in-fluence of the well-to-do, and so forth.) If it is standard for anybody it would, by my lights, be at least somewhat eggcornish.
Some have suggested—and there is a case to be made for it—that we inhabit rather an effluent society.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-04-13 19:34:06)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer