Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-14 16:56:54

jorkel
Eggcornista

"All the RAVE" vs. rage

Google counts Aug 14, 2006
126,000 All the RAVE
7,520,000 All the rage

First off, I know “all the rave” is legitimate phrase with a distinct meaning from “all the rage”, but I also think it originated as an eggcorn of the latter. For if the latter had not existed first, we probably would not have seen the former at all! So is it an eggcorn or isn’t it? (See my discussion under “Variational principle…”) – Joe Krozel

There is even a movie:

All the Rave (2001) (V)All the Rave – Cast, Crew, Reviews, Plot Summary, Comments, Discussion, Taglines, Trailers, Posters, Photos, Showtimes, Link to Official Site, Fan Sites.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0300924/ – 41k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2007-08-17 22:25:10

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "All the RAVE" vs. rage

Interesting that another construction favors rave over rage…

Google counts on Aug. 17, 2007
363,000 “raving mad”
22,800 “raging mad”

Either construction is valid, but did one inspire the formation of the other?

Last edited by jorkel (2007-08-17 22:25:53)

#3 2007-08-18 17:52:11

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: "All the RAVE" vs. rage

Hey, Joe. I just got back from your “raving beauty” contribution. Is this where it all started? I agree with your analysis here. I tried a search for “variational principle”, but to no avail. I think where a lot of the eggcorning is happening is due to the 2nd definition of “raving” in the O.E.D. –
raving

• noun (ravings) wild or incoherent talk. • adjective & adverb informal extremely or conspicuously the thing mentioned: raving mad.

As in my first post about the beauties, I think there are a lot of things going on here at the same time, and I’m having a hard time isolating any one of them so as to make an insightful comment. All the same, they’re wonderful submissions and I’d like to see what further wisdom could be extracted from them.

As a joke, I googled “raging beauty” and got 700hits, mostly germane to the topic. Perhaps we’ll all be impressed if the topics are all tied together…by Lindsay Lohan!

Board footer