Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-05-20 05:44:37

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'cushion' for 'caution'

Throwing caution to the wind involves accepting that a degree of risk may be required. Throwing cushion to the wind on the other hand seems more about minor adjustment in luxury but I suppose it could be stretched to embrace actual discomfort.

However, despite the new numbers, locals have thrown cushion to the wind, with many operating without masks and disregarding social …

Four trucks containing as many as 60 bodies have been discovered outside a Brooklyn funeral home (CNN), while in Kenya we have thrown cushion to the wind, ...

Janet Jackson. Before throwing cushion to the wind, let’s have some quick facts …

The lyrical themes deal with depression, anxiety, to feeling lost, to feeling like I want to have fun, just throw cushions to the wind.

#2 2022-05-20 09:41:24

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'cushion' for 'caution'

A cushion (financial or otherwise metaphorical, or perhaps even literal) is often maintained as a precaution, to mitigate risk. So throwing that kind of cushion to the wind(s) would also mean embracing increased risk.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-05-20 10:05:23)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2022-05-20 11:13:11

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Good point, David.

And I’ve just stumbled across another variant featuring what could be theatrical imagery. Some examples are clearly deliberate word-play, but the following seem genuine:

I threw caution to the wings and rounded on him. “Do as I say, Captain, or I will make y – mph!” – I never got to finish my sentence.

Coming on for Moses Simon moments after the hour mark as Rohr decided to throw caution to the wings with Cameroon comfy 1-2 up, ...

The SWAT UNIT of the Ghana Police Service has been accused of throwing caution to the wing and embarking on illegal demolition of property …

As the national leader of the party and one who is known to be very circumspect in utterances on political issues, he has thrown caution to the wings, released a statement, ...

Does this mean you should throw caution to the wing and eat bunch of garbage all day??? ?? Obviously no

#4 2022-05-20 11:13:45

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Good point, David.

And I’ve just stumbled across another variant featuring what could be theatrical imagery. Some examples are clearly deliberate word-play, but the following seem genuine:

I threw caution to the wings and rounded on him. “Do as I say, Captain, or I will make y – mph!” – I never got to finish my sentence.

Coming on for Moses Simon moments after the hour mark as Rohr decided to throw caution to the wings with Cameroon comfy 1-2 up, ...

The SWAT UNIT of the Ghana Police Service has been accused of throwing caution to the wing and embarking on illegal demolition of property …

As the national leader of the party and one who is known to be very circumspect in utterances on political issues, he has thrown caution to the wings, released a statement, ...

Does this mean you should throw caution to the wing and eat bunch of garbage all day??? ?? Obviously no

Board footer