Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-07-11 19:44:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

crossed pasts etc.

Neural pathways in the brain got crossed fairly often in the past, it would seem.

The last time I cross-passed with the beast was in the arctic tundra.

she’s touched the hearts of every person that she’s cross passed with.

(How many hearts does the average person have?)

i feel blessed and thankful to every single instructors, teachers and training partners that i cross passed with. They made me who i am right now.

(How many single instructors are we talking about every two or three of?)

I also never realized how much, and how many people his life cross passed with.

It happens in the present too:

Depending on the day you can cross pass with the writer Paulo Coelho

That, and many visitors look to our dark skies and think they’ll cross pass with well—other types of visitors—especially along the Extraterrestrial Highway.

With the timeline shattered, heroes and villains alike cross pass with curious strangers from other realms, fulfilling prophecies that should not have come …

Much the same yet somewhat different:

men go to the red pill because the common advice that’s given did not work or they cross past with an abusive woman.

And I have been fortunate in life to cross past with the lovely words which is Corky, and we created this together.

I was walking alone So sad, so brood Until I crossed past with you then my direction changed I saw a different road

Combining the two, sort of:

you’re going to know them and chances are you’re going to have cross passed with them in the past, past and you know, and possibly even like

If the second word, pass , is the verb, you expect passed , though passed and past are probably the same think, in some minds. If the first word, cross , is the verb, then the past/passed tense crossed is to be expected (or other forms in the verbal paradigm.)

Thats a great movie, have you ever crossed pass with Charlie Daniels?

The big buck had showed up on trail cameras around the farm, but no hunters had crossed pass with him before Sullivan, who loves to hunt in the mornings

You are just this wonderful woman who I should have crossed pass with way back, but life didn’t want that to happen, so I am going to pursue you now.

The other pureblood families also didn’t left any chance to taunt her or sneering at her whenever she crosses pass with them.

But maybe both are verbs?

You’ve probably crossed passed with a murderer who contemplated murdering you, and then thought “nah”, and kept going.

When we crossed passed with our hosts they were very polite and welcoming and did not invade in our privacy at all.

Tiffany said the actress remained at the party and crossed passed with Beyonce a number of times, leading to a bit of a stand off.

I saw friends I expected to see, met new friends and crossed passed with many others such as Anders Forselius, aka “The Biking Viking”.

Anyhow, something or other in the pass, passed, past, or something of the sort seems to be getting substituted eggcornishly for paths. Of course, if you crossed paths, the two of you have crossed pasts (whether a verb+object or an Adj+N construction) as a result:

At this point, I have crossed pasts with Ms. Marshall thrice. The first time was at a star-studded boutique opening.

She inspired so many and brought a smile to the face of everyone she crossed pasts with. She is loved by everyone

Perhaps related, but somewhat different again, is the notion of feeling cross deriving from feeling crossed:

I cannot be too crossed at Kitty for listening to such a figure while rarely taking my advice

You will feel balanced in your work environment with people in spite of feeling crossed at heart.

You could tell both the engineer & the dispatcher were getting rather crossed at him as he was holding up the subdivision the whole morning

Again maybe related, as people who feel cross with someone or something may look at the object of their displeasure with crossed arms:

[he might] recieve a Santonio Holmes type deal, and will with another team next season if the Eagles continue to have their arms crossed at him.

Rosie had that look in her eyes that said she would sit there all night with her arms crossed at him until she got what she wanted.

The pinkette had slammed her hands onto the table, Lilith and Alisaie both having their arms crossed at her argument.

Big old fuzzy spot, I guess, but there’s eggcorning going on somewhere(s) in there.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-07-12 09:12:06)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2022-07-12 10:05:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: crossed pasts etc.

A fine find and a rich seam, David, with much eggcorning amidst the fuzz. A particularly thorough excavation too, leaving little, it seems, in the way of stray variants. Eventually I managed to find these few crumbs under the rubble.

“You are such an amazing friend, you have been a blessing to everyone that you have passed cross with.

Speaking of Management I think we passed cross with the owners during our stay who I must say were outstandingly friendly and personable.

I’m very lucky to have crossed patch with these guys. We actually befriended a group of fellers from Johnson City TN.

We even cross patched with Penny Wong, Australian Minister of Finance. She was with her partner. When we crossed patch, our eyes met.

#3 2022-07-12 14:35:16

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: crossed pasts etc.

I love them. Thanks! Cross-patch, especially :). But passing that cross, too! (I suppose the cross is the meeting point? Once you’ve met you’ve passed that cross.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-07-13 14:29:20)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer