Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2023-01-11 05:52:35

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'great gutso' for 'great gusto'

Demonstrating guts, being gutsy is used to indicate courage and determination. Adding a little more energy and enthusiasm we have gusto. In ordinary speech I’ve never heard anyone use “great gusto” but its written form in not uncommon. It seems reasonable that the eye does a little shuffle of the parts to get some guts into gusto.

Gusto/gustatory refer to taste, though that may not be immediately clear. “Great gutso” sounds like someone of prodigious Falstaffian appetites, and it seems fitting somehow that the gust at one end and the guts at the other have tried to unite in some meaningful way.

From thereon it was just a 15 mins walk which we covered with great gutso having braved the wind, chill, clouds and the backpack!

Did not even need to transition them over slowly, they hoed in with great gutso and no problemos with going straight onto the new kibble.

Punjab started off the match with great gutso plunging into the attack from the get-go.

So with great gutso, we read about the fresh ingredients, flavorful and authetic recipes… a promise of a delightful thai meal without …

#2 2023-02-20 21:31:42

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'great gutso' for 'great gusto'

Love it!

#3 2023-03-31 20:01:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'great gutso' for 'great gusto'

I have heard, and used “great gusto”, but usually among people who also know “gran gusto” in Spanish, and so pronounce the second word GOOSE-tow (or GOOSE-toe if you want to spell it that way.) I do remember hearing someone say GUSS-tow, and the Inet (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl2zBP2STnY ) says that is the normal American English pronunciation.
Btw, gusto in Spanish (Mex./Venez. at least) is by no means limited to taste, but means enthusiastic pleasure more generally. I remember the story, supposed, as so many are, to have really happened, where an English-speaking young lady, riding the Metro, was caught off balance by a sudden jerked stop and wound up on the lap of a gentleman seated on a nearby bench. Mortified, she said the phrase that she had learned for “Excuse me”, namely “Con su permiso.” Unfortunately, that phrase, literally “with your permission” is appropriate for asking permission to leave the table, but not for a case where there really is something embarrassing to be pardoned for. (“¡Discúlpeme usted!” [forgive/pardon/excuse me] or “¡Perdóneme usted!” would have been more expected.) The man responded with a big smile, “¡Con todo gusto, Señorita!” Essentially, “With the greatest of pleasure, Miss [, I grant you my permission]!”
fwiw I’m enjoying the phrase “from thereon” even more than it’s probably worth.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-03-31 20:09:12)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer