Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2023-02-20 21:45:54

David Bird
Eggcornista

'fellow' for felon

I believe it is for the best that the kids don’t spend time with someone who is a convicted fellow.
reddit

A convicted fellow has escaped from the business-class cell-block of #AbantuBazothini MAXIMUM INSECURITY PRISON!
twitter

a normal law enforcer father would never have his beautiful daughter to be near a convicted fellow.
imdb

Conrad Black, a convicted fellow for defrauding investors remains in this country.
Toronto Star

So he’s not a such a jolly good fellow. On the contrary. I think it’s a pretty clear case of someone substituting a common word for one they’re not familiar with.

I’ve been away so long I don’t remember how to format the links. Disculpe.

#2 2023-03-02 08:57:02

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'fellow' for felon

I was a convicted fella in my original country Brazil and I live illegally here in the US. How can I get my pro boxing licence?
facebook

#3 2023-03-08 04:39:08

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Format links? Never could, still can’t. There are examples of fellany and fellowny but they don’t seem very convincing.

Apropos of not very much, I lived for a time in a town called The Felling, known locally as The Fellin’ because, they joked, it was full of felons. The only notable example of a Fellin’ felon I can think of is a lady called Ann Little who sold what she called “Scotch Hares” for 1/- to 1/6d each in the 1880s. When numerous cat skins were discovered she was imprisoned for flaying felines and misrepresenting their origin.

It occurs to me that this was no felony as her sentence was only three months and therefore it was a mere misdemeanour. Could our fellow/fella/felon possibly be called Mister Meaner? Yes! there are plenty of examples but a quick check reveals it was found by Ken L in the golden days when he was hoovering them up like Autumn leaves.

#4 2023-03-31 19:41:02

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Actually, it sounds like what that Little Miss/Mrs. Annie committed was a feliney, not?
David & Peter, it looks like you have been able to connect in the last few months. I have not, since the end of last year or sometime in January. Did any of the rest of you have problems like I did? Is there a way to get a backup of the site, in case that should happen again? There’s a lot of info here I hate to lose access to.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-04-01 19:03:24)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2023-04-06 06:39:34

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Did any of the rest of you have problems like I did?

Not recently David, but on several occasions over the years I’ve been locked out for months at a time. We were much busier at the time so my absence didn’t matter but since we’re now near-moribund your absence has been stark. Welcome back!

Moribund. If it were a verb, moribunned, BrEnglish would render it no more unpleasant than being pelted with poisonous bread rolls, but in the US it could mean being assailed by the Buttocks of Doom. These things matter.

Last edited by Peter Forster (2023-04-14 02:26:58)

Board footer