Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2023-09-11 19:02:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

encrouch < encroach

My wife did a good one again: she doesn’t want a proposed deck to encrouch on a particular section of the yard.

There are lots of this one online. E.g.:

Previously Fired rep Encrouching on Territory. A bit more into the topic. I am a new sales rep and …

Sahara Desert Encrouching on Northern Nigeria.

Department of Building Inspection City of San Francisco (.gov) https://dbiweb02.sfgov.org › dbipts RETAINING WALL IS UNSTABLE AND ENCROUCHING ON NEIGHBORS PROPERTY AND HAS PUSHED CEMENT SLAB AWAY FROM NEIGHBORS BUILDING.

Legal Question & Answers in Real Estate Law in California : Neighbors 60 ft pine tree encrouching on our property

Vancouver Island Indian tribe – originally had claim to beach but was encrouched upon by modern culture.

some farming has encrouched upon portions of National Forest land .

Does “crouching” bring surreptitious trespassing to mind? An image of occupying a place warily, ready to jump on any resistance to the occupation, or maybe flee if things get really dangerous?
Anyway, what does “croach” mean? Etymologically it apparently comes via old French from a Norse word meaning “seize”, related to “crook” in the sense of “hook”. But what does it mean in a modern speaker’s mind?
For me there’s an almost-morphemic surreptitiously prefixish cr- suggesting creepy crawly craftily cryptic crouching somehow involved.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-09-29 11:39:15)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2023-11-04 17:43:02

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: encrouch < encroach

... surreptitious trespassing …

Like pinching someone’s seat for example?

Get a rug large enough to go under the front legs of sofa and console, but when centered does not encouch on the table and chairs.

is that what nato does? doesnt steal & encouch on borders?

As stated in the title, I am a white person. Because of that, I try to be very cautious of my craft and practice, as to not encouch on others cultures.

With sound effects too

Did she say “these buzzards are starting to encrunch on our space”? I replayed it a couple times but I still hear it.

... encrunch on the rights of both .

Board footer