Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-17 10:22:38

jorkel
Eggcornista

"BUCKET of flowers" vs. bouquet

It was hard to find an example where one could genuinely say that a “bucket of flowers” actually meant a “bouquet of flowers.” However, the example immediately below seems pretty clear—-since you wouldn’t literally throw a bucket into a crowd unless you wanted someone to get hurt…

My WeddingThen slowly and gracefully my sister followed with a bucket of flowers in her … Later I was tossing a bucket of flowers into the crowd of single girls and …
www.russianwomenmagazine.com/love/wedding.htm – 13k – Cached – Similar pages
The next example is a little more ambiguous. If you go to the website, there are pictures of numerous bouquets of flowers at a funeral, but it is hard to discern whether some of these bouquets have made their way into—you guessed it—buckets…

Little FinboroughAnd, bless her, she turned around, and headed back to the main road, leaving me with the bucket of flowers. I stood and waited at the edge of the graveyard, ...
www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/littlefin.htm – 16k – Cached – Similar pages
Maybe this next example qualifies as well. (See elsewhere in the forum where I talk about this post’s use of the word “invoice”)

Forecourt Trader: Budding businessGone are the days when a guy would pull a bucket of flowers out of the boot of his car and scribble an invoice on the back of a cigarette packet. ...
www.forecourttrader.co.uk/news/fullstor … iness.html – 29k – Cached – Similar pages

Aside from the above examples, most of the other posts mention buckets of flowers are actually refering to just that: buckets with flowers in them. But one has to wonder why they chose the word “bucket” rather than “pail.” Perhaps this too is an eggcorn derived from “bouquet.”

Buy Australian.com – Bucket Arrangement – Colour my worldA BIG, beautiful bucket of flowers! The value of the pictured flowers is $115.30 This includes delivery, handling and GST. You can increase or decrease the …
www.buyaustralian.com/catalog/product_1 … t_855.html – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer