Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-22 11:36:43

jorkel
Eggcornista

"WIND one's way" (wend)

Google counts on Aug 22, 2006
13,200 “wind my way” (303 “wind one’s way” ...etc.)
16,699 “wend my way” (876 “wend one’s way” ...etc.)
Analysis by Joe Krozel

The standard phrase “wend one’s way” means direct or proceed along a course. A common usage is to speak of wending one’s way home.

The eggcorn phrase “wind one’s way” conjures up the notion of having to move through a tortuous path toward an end. “Wind” as an intransitive verb means “to have a curving course. As a transitive verb, “wind” means to turn repeatedly around. (I suppose one could reach an end by winding outward like a coil). The notion of winding through a succession of curves is also apropos if that is what one is actually doing. But I think a speaker would use the term “wind one’s way” even when proceeding through a maze made up of straight segments.

Examples:
Jose Ignacio Cabezon – In Defense of Abstraction: A Reply to …To bring order to that messiness—to wind one’s way through the idiographic complexity to construct a nomothetic vision (the regularity/order) that can serve …
muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_the_american_academy_of_religion/v074/74.1cabezon02.html – Similar pages

> WWW.ICICEMAC.COM—> Premier réseau de la zone cemac ||<It is just a stone’s throw away but one has to wind one’s way through Nigeria before veering back into Cameroon, and you cannot help asking yourself how the …
www.icicemac.com/image_jour/index.php3?cid=9 – 36k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.com: Profile For Alan M. Polansky: ReviewsTold mostly through letters from an earlier time, one must wind one’s way through several storylines. This is okay – but the documents are not believable as …
www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1 … lic&page=2 – 65k – Cached – Similar pages

Re: [Unicon-group] coexpressions?... objects – instead of having to wind one’s way back through a series of propagated failures you can just throw yourself all the way out in one operation. ...
www.mail-archive.com/unicon-group@lists … 01175.html – 7k – Cached – Similar pages

Breakdown | CollaborationThe Peter Gabriel Web Ring, a means by which one way wind one’s way through and throughout the myriad of unofficial Peter Gabriel homepages. ...
www.slowbreakdown.com/partners/ – 33k – Cached – Similar pages

PedNet: Whels on Bus 2006 News PageSometimes I have business meetings in the mornings; I can change clothes after work and wind my way home on the bike. I love biking down to Flat Branch Park …
www.pednet.org/newsWheelsOnBus.html – 7k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer