Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-25 10:46:33

jmccartney

State of the Ark

I first came across this used by a sister-in-law in some family correspondence; from the context she meant “Art”.
But on checking Google, I see that “state of the ark” seems to qualify as a genuine eggcorn, being used for:
( following items are from this search: )

1. An album by a Swedish rock group
Consulate General of Sweden – Concert: The ArkWith their third album, State Of The Ark, one of Sweden’s most eccentric rock bands takes a surprising step in a new direction.
www.swedenabroad.com/pages/general

2. Ecological perspectives:
Endangered Species – General Endangered Species HandbookState of the Ark. An Atlas of Conservation in Action. A Gaia Book, Doubleday, New York, 224 pages. Eckholm, Erik. 1978. Disappearing Species: The Social …
www.endangeredspecieshandbook.org/books_endangered.php

State of the Ark, High Quality Biodiversity Information through …Orimulsion, an Environmentalist’s Concernts…....Fossil Fuels – Combustibles fossiles. // – Notre environnement, Elements Environmental Magazine.
www.elements.nb.ca/theme/endangeredspec … er/rob.htm

3. Collections of historical artefacts:
State of the Ark – Donovan Marshall’s Computer CollectionState of the Ark – Donovan Marshall’s Computer Collection. This is a private collection of computers ranging from 70’s micro computers, 80’s home computers …
www.stateoftheark.co.nz/ – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

4. And some ambiguous items:
The induction motor – a state-of-the-ark technology—[Power …Induction motors have been around for more than 100 years, and as a consequence are regarded by many to be a converged technology. Nothing could be further …
link.aip.org/link/abstract/PEJOEE/v10/i6/p247/s1 – Similar pages

etc etc.

#2 2006-08-25 11:56:23

kdanieli

Re: State of the Ark

These all seem to be informed puns, ironic plays on words by clever writers, rather than inadvertent slips-of-the-ear, as it were.

#3 2006-08-25 13:35:22

patschwieterman
Administrator

Yes, googling “state of the ark technology,” I found a number of instances where the writers were purposely comparing old-fashioned “state of the ark technology” to bleeding-edge “state of the art technology.” I like it a lot, but I have to agree with kdanieli—it’s not an eggcorn.

#4 2006-08-26 04:48:56

jmccartney

Well, a reshaping or innovation then?

Board footer