Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-03 14:03:30

Fred Sanderson

The almost universal misuse of "literally" these days...

Heard Dee Dee Meyers, former press sec. to Clinton say that their headquarters was “literally” in a meltdown on election night..or “I was litlerally on pins and needles”..jeez…four syllable words such as this catch on among the under-educated, because thet feel it makes them sound knowledgeable, when in fact, it exposes their true ignorance. I feel like pulling my hair out when I hear it…literally…!

#2 2006-10-06 09:54:48

mr_sloane

Re: The almost universal misuse of "literally" these days...

Often they’re using ‘literally’ when they mean ‘virtually’. I wonder if this is to do with how ‘virtual’ has been taken to mean ‘simulation’ as in ‘virtual reality’.

#3 2007-06-07 20:59:17

yanogator
Eggcornista

I heard Rush Limbaugh, a pretty large man, say about a radio, “I was blown away. I was literally blown away.” On a talk show, I heard a mother say, “My head literally exploded.”
You get some interesting visual images with some mistakes!

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2007-08-25 21:15:57

Sintax

I’ve wondered about this myself. How does literally come to mean two opposite things? Saying “it was literally X” can mean both “exactly X” and “a completely exaggerated version of X”.
Learning French, I was confused by a presence of something similar. The word “personne” can mean “a person”, or it can be used in a negative construction to mean “no one”. The word “plus” can mean “more” or “none” (although in Canadian French at least, these two are often pronounced in distinct ways).
Do we have other examples of this? How common is it for a word to have opposing meanings?

#5 2007-08-26 14:51:04

klakritz
Eggcornista

Sintax-

The phenomenon of a word possessing a pair of opposing meanings is surprisingly common. There’s no official term for this peculiarity, but try googling ‘autoantonym’ and you’ll see what I mean.

#6 2007-08-26 20:42:40

patschwieterman
Administrator

I once took a class about the processing of fruits after harvest—the class was great, but getting some of the terminology straight drove me a bit nuts. Words like “seeded” and “pitted” could be problematic. If you go to the store and buy “seeded grapes,” they’ll typically have seeds in them. If you buy “seeded raisins,” they won’t. That sounds contradictory, but seeded raisins are made from seeded grapes (i.e., grapes with seeds—like Muscats)—and the seeds are then removed at some point during the process. “Seedless raisins,” by contrast, are made from grapes that don’t have seeds to begin with.

Those two “seededs” seem to be different in origin. The “seeded” in “seeded grape” is an adjective like “many-splendored”—it’s derived from a noun, in this case “seed.” The “seeded” in “seeded raisin” is a participial adjective derived from the verb “to seed,” meaning to remove seeds.

And then there’s the fact that “seeding a field” means adding seeds, while “seeding raisins” means removing seeds. Gotta love this language.

#7 2007-09-04 08:29:28

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

Take a look at this site, which is literally a weblog about abuse of “literally”:
http://literally.barelyfitz.com/

People use “literally” as a universal exaggerator – like “really” which is also wrong if the root meaning of “real” is considered.
“I was really annoyed”. How else could you be annoyed? Did you just fake it? Did you imagine it? Or did Dali poke you in the eye and make you surreally annoyed?
However, most of us accept the way this modifier has changed to simply mean “very”, rather than “truly”.

Maybe “literally” is simply next to slide down this slippery slope.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

Board footer