Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-05 04:31:58

DavidS

Folk law for folklore

As in

“Science has reinforced the folk law”

which I spotted in an excellent book called “The Secret Life of Trees” by Colin Tudge which I would recommend to anyone, eggcorns notwithstanding. I think it fits the definition of an eggcorn because it involves a reinterpretation of the original expression, strengthening something that people might have thought to be true (lore) to something that whose truth they would insist on (law).

#2 2007-12-10 06:03:04

mcovarru

Re: Folk law for folklore

One question remains: is this user of “folk law” aware of the term ‘folklore’? If so this might be among many uses of ‘folklaw’/’folk law’ as a sort of play on words.

Consider for instance a hypothetical superstition that might attribute bad luck to a ‘folk law’ that requires some punishment or atonement for certain behaviours.

I found another item that uses ‘folklaw’ several times without looking like wordplay. The events aren’t related to any rules or the enforcement of any result or response.

“When working and / or staying away I tend to pick up small local publications on the folklaw of the area that I am staying in. Certain themes seem to be pretty universal (in a UK wide way), such as spectoral hounds or Devils hounds which seem to pop up in folklaw all over the counties, spectres by the roadside also seem to pop up a lot – Dartmoors Hairy Hands is quite strange though, which is a pair of hairy hands which appear on your steering wheel and take over control of the steering!

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any local folklaw from where they live?”
click for source

#3 2008-01-11 10:12:52

DavidS

Hmmm

I don’t think that Colin Tudge was making a play on words. Still I suppose that if enough people use folk law as a proper word then it becomes an alternative spelling rather than an eggcorn.

#4 2008-07-16 08:21:11

daf

Here’s another sighting from the wild, hyphenated this time:

“I have no idea where I learned this trick – it seems to be in the folk-law of VM design”

— http://armstrongonsoftware.blogspot.com … esign.html

#5 2008-07-16 14:28:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

A number of dialects of English neutralize the final -aw and -ore sounds (some pronounce both as -aw, others both as -ore or as occupying overlapping ranges in between). For those dialects this would be a hidden, or at most a stealth, eggcorn. It is also probably a mondegreen: at some point a speaker probably pronounced it right and understood it in the standard way, but a hearer, also hearing it right or nearly right, analyzed it with different imagery.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-07-16 14:30:21)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer