Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-05 12:55:27

jorkel
Eggcornista

VISA VEE (vis-a-vis)

From website: http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=4047324

I had my rant last year about people who want to look smart but don’t read very much, which produced “for all intensive purposes” and spelling vis a vis as “visa vee.”—truck-patch pixel farmer (my crop froze in the field) (crump…), January 25th, 2006.

Google counts on Sept 5, 2006
9,210,000 “vis-a-vis”
1220 “visa vee”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Vis-a-vis” has various meanings, the most common being “as compared with” and “in relation to.” The proposed eggcorn “visa vee” seems to be used in precisely the same manner, so there does not seem to be any new imagery generated in THAT regard. Even so, “Visa Vee” conveys a certain degree of officialese to it: a lofty, yet obliquely authoritative word pair. The first word makes an obscure reference to a visa (passport), and the second word underscores the first letter in case there was any doubt of it’s importance. And so, the utterer lends import to the comparison which is about to be made. What else could be the rationale for this eggcorn?

Examples:
Comments, reviews, praises or rants about The Soft ParadeThen I moved out of the area but followed their career visa vee their website. Then I had the immaculate pleasure of catching their double set gig at The …
www.thesoftparade.com/fanspeak.htm – 29k – Cached – Similar pages

JobVent – Rate your job… and we loose the over achievers of the firm and it won’t take our clients long to figure out that we don’t differentiate ourselves visa vee quality. ...
www.jobvent.com/CompanyBrowse/196/2 – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

UK Thread Pt. 3 – Page 145 – The Ill Communitytherefore , visa vee , ergo , proving the world cup in general is piff it is 5 weeks of football over the summer where there would be none , and there was …
community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=267165&page=145 – 122k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Docket No. 80-1622It was his opinion that there was “a big problem with the application and/or the interpretation of the Standards [on] nets visa vee [sic] the standards that …
www.oshrc.gov/decisions/html_1987/80-1622.html – 94k – Cached – Similar pages

Don’t Look Directly at Mary-Kate – TMZ.comCongrats on all the work you’ve been conducting visa vee Joaquin Pheonix on behalf of Peace. I just attended a peace rally and boy o boy did those people …
www.tmz.com/2006/08/04/dont-look-direct … ry-kate/14 – 63k – Sep 3, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

More 9/11 – Page 46 – OGN ForumsSure it was enough, and close enough to home to stir us up a bit and let Johnny get into a ‘bit of the old ultra violence’ visa vee a supporting military …
forums.ogn.com.au/showthread.php?p=515636 – 83k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer